Friday, April 17, 2009

I told you eating too much Easter candy would rot your teeth out

Monday morning, I woke up with Callan screaming as he ran down the stairs. I was startled out of my sleep, sat up making every effort to throw myself out of the nest I have made for myslef in my Sleep # bed. As he arrives in my room he screams out "MY TOOTH IS LOOSE, MY TOOTH IS LOOSE". Mind you, this is something that we have been checking regularly because in his opinion you just cannot make it though Kindergarten without losing one tooth. Evidentally we had not checked in a while because not only was it loose, it was hanging by a thread and so was the one beside it. I pretended to act all official and tell him we had to take serious action because all the candy he had recently consumed was causing them to rot out and soon they would all just fall out, and that "I told you so".

We went about our morning routine of getting ready when I asked if I could just try one time to get it out. We had five minutes to spare before the bus arrived. He let me tug at it once, but then ran around screaming for a minute. Determined to have a "show-n-tell" at school, he braved a hard tug again and it popped right out. If I could have captured his face... priceless. He was beyond excited. He also decided that it was in his favor to save the other wiggly tooth for another day so that he could have back to back visits (and money).





That night the tooth fairy came to visit and gave him a $5 for his tooth. (Yes, I know it is steep... it is only for the first tooth- the first one is just special). The only problem was that either the tooth fariy played a mean trick and shoved the money down by his feet or the wild sleeper found it during the night and it got tossed like his sheets do. So morning number 2 and we wake up in another mad scream because "The tooth fairy STOLE my tooth and did not leave me a thing." (There is something to be said about those little tooth pillows) I assured him that the tooth fairy had come and we just had to search for the prize. I found it at almost the foot of the bed (and that is no easy task for this balloon belly on the top bunk). All was well again with the world.

We left the other wiggly tooth alone for a while, checking it every now and then to make sure it was not a swallowing hazzard. Then last night before his game, I asked if I could have a little tug to see if it would come on out. It was so ready it almost jumped out into my fingers. He is so proud. He has been waiting FOR-EV-ER for a chance at a loose tooth and he gets 2 in one week (and a sweet little lisp too).


5 comments:

jam'n bell said...

Gonna have to post that talking with his lisp. Way to go, Callan!

Shawn said...

I am most impressed that you safely hurdled the top bunk!! I feel certain Dr. E would not approve of that story....mums the word!!

~H

Sissie said...

Wow! 2 teeth in less than a week! Bet that moved you right up to the top of your class in bragging rites. Congratulations Callan! What are you going to do with all that money the Tooth Fairy left you?

Julie P said...

Ahh youth. Thank so much for sharing this sweet story.

Pamela Johnson said...

that grin is priceless!!