Saturday, May 1, 2010

The rain came down and the flood came up

I think I am still at a loss for words over what has happened all over Middle Tennessee and the FLOOD. So much has been destroyed. It is hard to comprehend, hard to describe. Locally, our church received a lot of dammage but most all homes were spared. Some did get some water under the houses, but I have not heard of anyone in our town having standing water in their home. In Nashville and surrounding area some people have 6 FEET of water in their home. I am a little sad at the lack of coverage by the National Media. Maybe because we have rallied troops and helped our neighbor out instead of trying to lay blame in everyone else. Maybe because we are all still in shock, maybe because it was not a Hurricane, Tornado, or Earthquake it is not seen as newsworthy. But half of a major city is still underwater and many places received around 16 inches of rain in just 2 days. This stuff is CRAZY.

I don't have pictures of the surrounding area... so I will show you my very own back yard. I need to add some before pictures, but just to show you. The water that is up to the trees is from a Blue Line Stream about 15 feet behind them. The stream is so small that normally it holds a couple inches of water. The boys will occasionally wade through it with boots on looking for crawl dads. When it storms the stream rises, but it has never gone beyond the trees. And, this water is rushing... quickly!





This is a look to the right off of our deck. It is a classified a flood plain, but it has not ever filled up this bad. The water is as far as you can see. There is a concrete basket ball pad there and entire back yards!

No comments: