This years baseball did not come without some drama. I hate to even record it, but seeing as how as I type this we are far beyond 7th grade baseball season, the hurt is no longer there (except for in momma bear). Honestly, I don’t know if we will ever really know what happened. When it came time for tryouts, Baylor did not make the Varsity team. He made the Junior Varsity. For a 7th grader, that is typically just fine, but for Baylor… unacceptable! He knew he made Varsity. He knew he was good enough for Varsity… it did not make sense (to us). Thankfully, we had a great coach. He was very diplomatic with his explanation. Brent went to him after tryouts and talked to him, not to change his mind, but to get a better answer for Baylor. He did not give any reasons, only told us to be patient. I don’t know if we were really patient or not, at home we cried, we yelled, we got angry and talked with people to help us understand, and even thought about pulling him from the team. Bay continued to give it his all and practice with JV and show his ability. The day before the first game, Varsity jerseys were handed out. Baylor’s name was called for Varsity. We honestly had no idea what it meant, but went with the flow. When it came game time, I did not even arrive that early. I figured Baylor would be riding the pine and it was a gesture of good will for him to have the jersey. NOT THE CASE!!! Baylor’s first game was a double header. The first game, he was the starting 3rd baseman. The second game, he was the starting pitcher. Even though I knew my son’s ability, I was shocked, Brent was shocked… but we were THANKFUL and PROUD! I think it was the quietest I had ever sat though a baseball game, beaming with pride, yet taking it all in, wondering what in the world had happened. Baylor never did play a JV game. He only played Varsity. He was a great contributor to the team and there was only one game that Baylor did not play in (8th grade night). Baylor proved to be a well rounded player playing many infield and outfield positions when asked. He proved to be solid on the mound and seemed to always be put on the mound in stressful, battle to the end situations verses our biggest rivals. It was a tough lesson learned (that I think we are still learning from), but it was also a sweet kiss from Jesus that what is important to our hearts is important to Him.
** at the end of the season we had a few 8th grade parents tell us that Baylor not making the Varsity team was an attack by other parents who had voices on the team. Of course we will never know, but what we do know is that there is a plan and lesson in it all.












No comments:
Post a Comment