Saturday, April 16, 2011

Jail Time

I started not to post this at all, but I know this is going to be something that we talk about into Callan's adulthood, so it could not go without words.
   My sweet son served a day of in school suspension this year... why you ask??? Because he was playing with his buddies on the playground. Of course there is a little more involved and this momma pitched a fit in the office, but it boils down to this. A group of friends were playing a keep away game with a toy. The friend that had the toy, threw it and dove on top of it. In response the entire group of boys ended up in a mosh pit on the ground trying to be the first at the toy. Another little boy peeping out from his cave like hiding place went and told their teacher that all the boys were hurting the friend that tossed and landed on the toy. Because the teacher did not see what happened (and evidentally was unsure of how to handle it) she sent them to the office. Our new vice principal thought it appropriate to lay down the law and put most of the kids in a full day in school suspension.

This momma fought like the dickens for her child, I cried, I blamed, and I told them that this would not be something we would ever forget.(of course I had to wait to talk to someone until 10AM because no one in administration was available the afternoon it happend or the following morning)  Honestly, I have lost confidence in my school. It seems that our schools have lost the ability to see children. Children are now numbers, instances, scores, and accidents waiting to happen. My kids walk around in fear that being a friend to someone will send a wrong message, that a game of 2 hand touch football (or a game of keep away) will be viewed as bullying. You cannot be good at something because it is a slap in the face to someone who is not good at something. Excellence is only celebrated when it can be fair and balanced for everyone. It seems that those who are no longer within the walls of the classroom (those calling all the shots) have forgotten why many people choose the teaching profession. I know when I chose my major it was not because I wanted the best TCAP scores in my school or a 10% improvement in 95% and above scores. Somewhere, we (and I say we because I am a teacher) messed up, and our schools and children are suffering for it.
(Well, it was not my intention to "go there" but now that it is typed...I am hitting publish!)

3 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

For all the reasons you mentioned and likely some I haven't thought of yet, part of me dreads my kids starting school. I know the administration will not like my husband or me very much because I am sure we will often be heard complaining about things. That isn't normally who I am but I have such frustration with the things I hear coming out of our schools today.

Bobbi said...

Ashley, I am sick over this for so many reasons!! Good for you for going to bat for yor child. I am sorry it fell upon deaf ears.

I too chose teaching as a profession, but now question what it is really about. Glad you "went there"

Cherri said...

Inappropriate consequences indeed. Seems like no one tried to find out the truth in the situation before "handing down sentencing". I'm sorry Callan experienced that firsthand, and that they all have witnessed a harsh reality sometimes. :(