Tuesday, October 11, 2011

WAIT... NOW GO!!!!

I have a heart for children. I always have. I knew in first grade I would be a teacher. I also have a heart for orphans. It was compounded by 1000 when I saw the face of my daughter on a screen in 2006. I knew then that my life had been forever changed... Not comfortable. Not quiet. CHANGED!

 Since 2005 I have sat watching my husband go on mission trip after mission trip (9 in all now). I have even sent my (then) 9 year old son in my place on a mission team because I felt I was told to wait. God gave (and kept giving) me my beautiful children and He confirmed with me that for that time I was to stay home with the mission field that had been created in my home. So I waited... and I waited. I have often wondered when I should go, when would I feel at peace about it, and I have told God "I'll just sit here and wait... you just holler GO when we are ready."

Well, "holler" He did and off I go. In full disclosure I have to tell you that I thought my first mission trip would be to Nicaragua to see what all my husband has been a part of, or to Guatemala the land of my child's birth and the country that captured my heart years ago. I have been searching for a trip and praying for God to lead. In the meantime He began to whisper a quiet little word that had not been on my radar. One that even at the mention of now I get teary and excited all at the same time- into my heart was whispered... HAITI.

 So, in January, my friend Sonja and I will head to Haiti with Visiting Orphans. We will spend a few days loving on the children in Port-Au-Prince at 2 different orphanages. One of which was completely destroyed by the earthquake and the children there live in tents on the property of a woman who took them in. The rest of the week we will spend in the Village of Pignon where we will lend a hand at an orphanage and love on the people of the Village.

I am more than excited, and want to share my adventures with you- my family and friends. I covet your prayers as I prepare to go, as I leave home the most precious gifts God has blessed me with so that I can learn more about myself, the love of God, and His desires for the world.

I also want to invite you to participate. Brent and I have discussed for years our stance on asking others to financially support our adventures. Honestly, if we plan accordingly, save a little, make a few sacrifices, and have a yard sale, this expensive trip is do-able for our family. It is no different than a choice family vacation or expensive want on our list. But, if we do it all on our own then we are not allowing others a hand on what God is doing in our lives or in Haiti. We feel like we are cutting out the blessing for those who can't go on an international trip, or don't feel called to it. So if you feel so called to be a part of my adventure I would feel honored and blessed.

Visiting Orphans has a spot on their website that allows you to make a donation to one of their trips HERE. On the page you should select the January Haiti "Simply Love" trip. You should also select that  you would like it specified for a person and type my name in the box that appears (when you select yes). If on-line donations are not your cup of tea but you would like to join in,  you can also mail a check payable to Visiting Orphans to the address below. Just be sure to indicate on the check that it is for the January Haiti trip and for me.

Visiting Orphans
PO Box 668
Nolensville, TN 37135

Thank you so much! I cannot wait to share with you as I prepare to go and all I get the opportunity to encounter (even potted meat) and how it is all used to bring Glory to God.

All my love,

No comments: