Thursday, June 14, 2007

18 gifts

It was not my ingenious idea, but I liked it none the less. While in Guatemala, we bought 18 gifts for Eliza. One for each year as her "forever family/ homecoming/ whatever we decide to call it" gift. Right now we do not even know what date that is... is it the day our adoption became final May 7th, when we got her in our arms June 4th, when we had our Embassy Day June 5th, or when she was finally home June 7th... anyway. Here is our list and a photo of it. Nothing is too fancy, just a neat reminder of where she came from and her heritage.



1- dress/ textile hat
2- green frog
3- Noah's ark textile set
4- textile dog backpack
5- coinpurse with Guatemalan money and worry dolls (not pictured)
6- beaded bracelet
7- textile journal (? this one did not make it home with us?)
8- beaded purse
9- worry doll wreath
10- wood box with metal etching of Guatemala (jewelry box)
11- textile headband
12- wooden necklace
13- textile scrunchie/ Guatemala book (not pictured)
14- textile belt
15- Jade cross
16- Quetzel bird key chain
17- large tote bag
18- Textile table runner

( I may still add a few things to the smaller items... and am considering purchasing a hupil- traditional Guatemalan dress shirt- from her town of birth... or a large tapestry or quilt)

4 comments:

Kristin said...

What a great idea, that I think I am going to have to "borrow!" Just found your blog this week--what a precious family you have!

Many blessings,
Kristin (PGN 9 weeks)

P.S. Shoot me an email and I'll give you our blog link: kristinandgregory@yahoo.com

Sonja said...

I think I told you that my sister-in-law did this for Amelia. I thought it was a great idea. Just a fun thing, too.

Mommy said...

I love the idea! I have heard of people doing this and I'll definitely have to use it some day. The rate China is going I may have kids in college when she comes home!

Anonymous said...

Great gifts!! :) Beware of the VERY CUTE little frog. We purchased Emma that very same frog from the hotel gift shop...we gave it to her and she sucked on the little feet. I looked at her lips and they were green from the dye! YIKES. It is a SUPER cute little froggie, though...he's on a HIGH shelf in her room...LOL. Miss you guys...it was great to meet you at the Westin...very warm and genuine people, both of you. God bless.