Friday, July 27, 2007

Pull your bumblebee

I have to admit... since Eliza has been home, I have been in survival mode. I have been just trying to get by and get used to this whole 4 kids thing. I have neglected all of my years of child develompent training and my ability to discipline in a positive manner. Instead I have been more like the crazed mom you see in "Wally World" yelling almost obsenities at her children who are running circles around her crying that they want something.
I have good kids... I expect way too much out of them most days. But here lately... it has been pure chaos. My oldest needs structure and direction at all times or he decides to take matters into his own hands which means terrorizing his brothers through...well bullying them. The younger 2 just react as a 4 year old and a 2 year old do... swinging and yelling ( or screaming).
So today... I have had ENOUGH. Thanks to a stash of old teacher stuff in the attic and a Kindergarten teacher with a good discipline system, we instated today... the beehive.




The object is not only to stay out of trouble ( moving down the hive) but to do good things to move up the hive. The child(ren) who move to the top of the hive get to pick a prize out of the treasure box (still to be created) with all kinds of trinkets, toys, baseball cards, trips to Dippin Dots, alone time and anything else I can come up with.

I hope I can stay with it...sometimes I am bad about starting something and not following through, but just since we created this my children have magically transformed and are all laying in the floor beside me coloring with the SAME crayons in the SAME book... and humming and singing at that. WOW!

5 comments:

Mommy said...

Keep us updated on how it goes. I think I could use a little bumblebee at my house...

Michelle Smiles said...

I can't even imagine being in anything but survival mode with 4 little ones! I feel like I just get through the day a lot of times with only 1. The hive sounds like a great motivator. Good luck!

Gail said...

That sounds like a super idea!! I hope you works very well for your family.
Gail

jam'n bell said...

Yay! It works!!! I've always loved this system. This is why class was great most of the time when the boys were in class. Just gotta remember to keep up with it.

Shawn said...

You made me feel so good today!!! Sometimes I think my parent's $$$ was lost on that education degree. Glad to know that your busy little bees go a little bizerk now and then too. I have to say, they look as sweet as honey in that picture. Cute, cute.

Heather