Friday, November 28, 2008

Details?

You people really want details? Well, it all started one afternoon... JUST KIDDING.

The long version, Brent and I thought we would adopt again. We have been researching, asking questions, talking to people and all we found out was that Guatemala is closed and IF it opens back up the process may be very disheartening. We also contacted 4 domestic agencies. 2 of them told us we were not candidates for their programs because "we could have our own children" and 2 told us that they "would take our money" but did not feel like we were likely candidates because most birth moms were looking for smaller families, and that it could take a lot of time. We looked into other countries, and even though our hearts cry out for the orphans... we could not find a program that would work for our family (based on our family size, travel times, time lines, etc). That may sound like we were giving up on adoption to some, but we feel like we listened and were not given confirmation. I talked to Brent a lot about "just seeing what would happen", for a long time he did not agree. One day he either had a weak moment, or he just got tired... and agreed to "see what would happen". And that folks is the rest of the story. And I am serious... ONE TIME. I know that that fact probably hurts some of your hearts, because as I type this I think about how upsetting it is for so many of you who have tried for so long. But truth be known, that is why I am in such shock. I do know how it happens, but just one time???

And then there is the other side. I AM SICK! I have never been sick in pregnancy before. And when I say sick, I mean the doctor put me on Zo*fran. The medicine they give chemo patients for nausea. I had spent 3 days curled up in the fetal position in the bathroom floor when Brent said I had to do something, so I called thinking she would tell me some magic trick to avoid nausea... and she called me in a prescription. I cried! Because my friend, Nicole had to be put on the same meds... and SHE WAS SICK. Surely I was not in the same boat. That med was for people who really got sick, not me. But, I got it so I could be functional for the rest of my family... some days I am functional. Some days not so much. I hope the side effects include the ability to fall asleep in the middle of the WWF wrestling simulation by my boys, because I sure can accomplish that. The meds also have the ability to COMPLETELY stop all function in your colon and intestines (if you know what I mean), but "that's all I've got to say about that".

So, today I am officially 8 weeks and 2 days into my God given blessing (due on Brent's Birthday... July 7th) . I know many of you think 5 kids is crazy, it has crossed my mind a time or two as well. But, if there is one thing that God made me to be it is a MOMMY. I am not saying that I am the best one out there, or that I am even all that good at it, but it is who I am and what I love. I am thankful that God thinks enough of me to think that I can handle it, and that He has blessed me "exceedingly abundantly", because I KNOW I don't deserve it.

21 comments:

Stephanie said...

Call me Thomas the Doubter since I didn't believe you...but Congrats!. Sorry you have been so sick, but maybe that means it's a girl!!!! On another note, it's WWE now, not WWF...way to date yourself :)

jam'n bell said...

Yes...yes...yes. Everytime I saw you I thought something was up. I thought it was my pregnant mind going overboard. Now I know....and maybe this is a girl? I know this little bit is definitely different from her brothers.

Courtney said...

you are an awesome mommy:)
when is this bundle of joy due to arrive?
let's have lunch again soon!

Courtney said...

you are an awesome mommy:)
when is this bundle of joy due to arrive?
let's have lunch again soon!

Wife of the Pres. said...

CONGRATS!!! I hope you have not felt like you had to explain how you and Brent chose to grow your family? All children are a GIFT from the Lord. We ran into the same thing with domestic and even foster care. You know God knew about this baby long ago! And with you guys, I would say adoption is not out of the question in the future. ;) You are so YOUNG and what is 6 or 7 or 8 when you have 5. :) So sorry you are so sick though; that has got to be rough. Charlie always says, "When Momma ain't happy or feeling good, ain't nobody happy."

Let me know if you need a break and if you would let Eliza come and play with Susannah. I would be happy to watch her or you could come too and just lie on the couch while they played! Seriously. My bathroom is not far from the sofa! :)

So thrilled for you guys! Exciting news!!! And the one time deal, BTDT! Still can't believe it myself. His personality fits too. He makes his presence known, so you may be in for a real spitfire here!

The Rivers Family said...

That first time is a dooosey! It's funny how in today's world 5 children seem like too many-but just a few generations ago it wouldn't have been enough! How times change. I pray that the sickness doesn't last too long for you....I can't feel too bad though - at least you get to be sick...=)

Michelle Smiles said...

Who cares what "many of you" think - it is your family! Congrats girl!

Shawn said...

Girl, METAMUCIL w/Zofran. Nobody told me that with #3 until I was day 7 into the "traffic jam." My sis-n-law says you have to take it with every dose. I've heard Checkers say that Murolax is o.k. for preggo girls too.

Good luck with that. I'm avoiding the Zofran like the plague if I can!!

Anonymous said...

You have been a wonderful mother since the age of "2". If there was a baby to carry around you had it, fed it, bathed it and loved it. You were a great big sister to Jared and you are a wonderful mother now. You and Brent are very blessed to have a healthy, loving, Godly family and I love you all exceedingly more than I should. Now, if you could just talk Gandie into moving to Spring Hill it would be a lot easier on us all. Love, Nommie

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Bobbi said...

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks--it is your family and your choice. I can't say I don't think you're nutty:>) Most say I am with three, and I am and so happy about it! I think you are brave. You are an excellent and caring Mom. I hope you get feeling better soon. It is tough to be that sick. Let's see, I was pretty sick and I had two girls......maybe, just maybe a sister for Eliza???

Thanks for "most" of the details. I pieced the rest together myself. And, it does only take ONE TIME. Anyone met my oldest daughter!?!?!?

Congrats and feel better

Jessica said...

Holy Cow Batman!! I go to TX for a week and come back to the blogging world to find out all sorts of good news! Congrats!! Here's to a healthy and happy nine months!

Anonymous said...

You just do not ever have to explain how good God is. One of your blessings is excellent fertility! 5 is definitely doable! ;) I am so excited! this keeps me satisifed too!

Love,
Tracey

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

So excited and happy for you! Congratulations and I pray you feel better soon!

Jessica said...

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!! Congratulations are in order!!! I am so happy for you all (and so sorry that you are so sick - yuck and double yuck!).

Also, thanks are in order as well...even though you didn't even realize it. :-) Thank you for sharing your recipes in the past. I made two pots of soup this weekend...Santa Fe Chili and Chicken Tortilla...for Braden's first birthday. Both were a hit - everyone loved them. Hope the mere utter of food doesn't make you sickly!!! But wanted to thank you!

Mommy said...

Friend...you do not need to explain yourself to anyone. You didn't put that bundle of joy in there...GOD DID! This came as no surprise to Him. If it came to someone else's surprise that is something they have to deal with in their own way. I understand what you mean when you say "I was born to be a Mommy". I celebrate right along with you. Take the drugs, find a little Metamucil to chase it with and try to enjoy this baby. I was a little sick with J and a LOT sick with MG. Hang in there.

McMurrays said...

Congrats!!! Hope you are feeling better!

Julie P said...

Congratulations!!!! What exciting nes for you and your family. How fun that Eliza will get to be a big sister.

Elizabeth said...

Ashley,
I am a fellow FTC mama that has read your blog off and on for awhile now. I too desire to have another child and felt for sure it would be through Guatemala again but God has something else in store for our family as he did for your family. I am so happy for you and am thrilled God chose to bless your family in this way. I pray you start feeling better soon.

Sig said...

Congrats!!! I am so happy for you, I knew you wanted more kids (and big families rock!! ;) ). I also wanted to adopt again from 'Mala, and was so sad it was still closed. Then we decided on India and we were told there was no way, our family was too large (even for a 4 yr old girl with HIV+, ridiculous). Anyway, I started inquiring about domestic and found out many larger families are chosen by birth moms! I just started my profile when i got a call about a 4 day old girl who needed a temp home. We took her in and now it looks like we will get to keep her. Crazy.
Anyway, God always has a plan!

Sig said...

BTW I was on Zofran while on chemo, didn't do much for me, but I am just fine. Take what you need to to get by :)