Sunday, June 28, 2009

And now... the rest of the story

(This is for my records... and my child's benefit someday. There is really no need for you to read all the details... just a warning)

So, I went to the Dr. on Tuesday and nothing had really changed much. I was quite disappointed because I had spent a few nights hurting and thinking that surely the contractions were doing something. Mom was here with my dad and nephew visiting for the week. When Wednesday rolled around and still nothing was going on, we decided to take full advantage of the day and get moving. Mom and I loaded up all the kiddos (nephew Jackson included) and headed to the mall to walk. We also picked up a few supplies recommended by a high school friend who is now a Doula. (I will be glad to share that info to anyone interested). We came back home and I tried out a few of my supplies. I was also very grateful to be able to go to Baylor's game in town while Nommie stayed home with the kids. The games always get me excited and contracting, and this one was no different. I came home and had some more special tea hoping at the chance to see something happen. Nothing was happening... so we all went to bed. At 1:45 I woke up with a jolt and ran to the bathroom. The contractions came hard and fast but would last for 30 minutes or so and then back off. I laid there staring at the clock until 3:20 and decided that even though they were not completly regular the cramping that came with them were enough to make me go in. So in we went. I got checked in and by 4:00 AM it was confirmed that I was not going anywhere. By 5:30 AM I was still progressing and at 5 cm. I was told that I could have my epidural. I denied it thinking that this was going to be quick and I wanted to give it a try without anything. Dr. E came to talk to me at 7AM and told me she had a C-section but would come in and break my water after since my last one went within the hour of my water breaking. She did not make it back in until 9AM, she did break my water... but I was still a 5. She left to do some work. I laid their laboring on and off until 11AM where she came back in AND I WAS STILL A 5. At this point she did the "talk". She said that perhaps he was too big and could not move down. She said that she wanted to give it a go with pitocin but would feel better about it if I got an epidural. She did not know where it would go from the pitocin. I agreed but not without a show of tears. I really did want to try a natural delivery, but I was really hoping for quicker one then what I was getting. At this point I had been laboring for around 10 hours and going off of about 2 hours of sleep. I give in easily, and just wanted to meet the little man. I talked about my concerns based on things that had happened in the past and the epidural lady went and researched my files (that was impressive) and changed things up so it might not happen again. I cried through the epidural. Not because it hurt all that much but because I felt a little defeated. Not that I had failed, just battled and weary. After the epidural I was able to rest for about an hour until I started feeling pressure and what do you know... it was GO TIME! People started flying in and out, and 2 contractions later Cruz Williamson was born at 2:11 PM. Again, I cried. It is such a beautiful thing. So amazing that words just cannot describe the feeling of meeting the little person that had completly changed everything about you in the previous 9 months. Seeing what they finally look like and resting in the fact that they are completly healthy. God really knew how to break me in half!!! It was an amazing experience and I know I was made fun of for sending out FB text during my delivery... but I was going crazy and I had just gotten all technical adding it to my phone. I couldn't move, what else could I do to pass the time between contractions (I mean some people play cards I hear). I will have to say that yet again everyone was impressed with his big-ness. The scrub tech was hilarious in all her comments on how huge he was as she had just said that there was no way a big baby was coming from my belly. It was an amazing day. One where although I can describe in detail what all happened, words cannot express the emotions and feelings of the day, the experience and the new life we have been given.

1 comment:

Kyla said...

Thank you for the details....I had been wanting to hear. Congratulations on another beautiful baby boy!