Thursday, January 7, 2010

6 month stats

We went to Cruz's 6 month well visit this morning. And thanks to some flurries the "we" that was supposed to be Mommy and Cruz, turned into family day at the Dr. office. Thankfully Daddy held down the fort in the car with all the other kiddos as to avoid any germs waiting to snatch them up in the waiting room while Cruz and I headed inside.

Have I mentioned lately how much I dislike the Dr. visits? Where I enjoy going and making sure everything is on track, here lately I feel so much pressure and guilt. Yes, I delayed shots a little bit and skipped a few but we are only one behind and still quite on track. But, it is always something. I felt like the token bad mom today because I have not lined my kids up for the H1N(one). I was asking if they had seasonal available for Callan (Bay's already had seasonal). I want him to get it because he has gotten the flu the past 2 years and I thought I would test it out and see if it helped this year. He seems to be the one most prone to getting it. But instead, I was given a small "I feel like it is my job to tell you" that it is the H1 that you need to worry about and causing more trouble. I love my Dr. and know she is just doing her job and giving all the facts. But knowing the hour long converstaions we have had about my feelings since Cruz has been born, she looked at me and suggested a mercury filled one for Cruz. I do not like it when people are disappointed with me and I left there feeling like my parenting choices were being frowned upon today. I just pray that I am doing what is best for my kids!

In other news, Cruz was 20 pounds and 28 1/4 inches. His weight is pretty close in line with what Callan and Silas' were (Bay was bout 6 pound more) but he has them all by about an inch in height... and has grown 3 inches since last visit. I think maybe they must have mis-measured last time because 3 inches is A LOT! My boy likes to keep his momma jumping though. If all his issues with his eating, possible allergies, tummy, and sleeping weren't enough. Today he has a little bit of yeast in his diaper area, and he had fluid in his scrotum indicating a hydrocele. Callan also had a hydrocele but it was not discovered until he had surgery for a hernia at age 2. I was given instructions to watch it and see. Sometimes hydrocele's seal back up on their own, so we will see. She also sent me into a little scare when examining his back. Cruz has a hairy back right at his diaper line. It has always been there. We have always laughed at his manly bootie, but after some questioning and pulling from me, she told me that hair there can indicate Spina Bifida. She did not seem to think it was so because it most cases there is also a dimple and the hair is typically coursely textured but again we are going to "watch it". From my research I have found that in some very mild cases people never know they have it until later in life when they go in for an X-ray or MRI because of another issue. A person can go their whole life without knowing and without complication. The only alarm that my research sent out is that because the nerves in the L5 region are pinched due to the spine being off, it can cause bowel issues. My little man has had bowel issues since we started solids. In fact, we are on a Dr. ordered, prunes only diet for 3 days to see if we can clean out the system and get things flowing again. I am going to call the Dr. back tomorrow and see what she thinks about it all and see if further testing is needed. But then again, if people go their whole lives not knowing and are just fine... what is the point in having a label? And if you ask me... Cruz is no different than one or two of his other brothers and their potty issues. It may just be a Jones thing... and the hair may be too.

This parenting business... it is going to be the death of me!

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

I am so sorry you had to go through this!!! I did not do the H1N1 shot for my children either. I agree with you--too much in it that I don't like. So, don't feel bad there.

Cruz, you are going to put your mommy over the edge, child!! I would call the Dr. It will put your mind at ease---maybe!
Hang in there. Sending hugs and prayers