Friday, August 6, 2010

Channeling my inner sassy pants

I have not shared many of my recent adventures lately because I figure most that still come here come for pictures anyway, but this one was just too good not to share.

So, yesterday I had a dentist appointment and there was a good local consignment sale I wanted to hit up, but the two were like 3 1/2 hours apart. Brent graciously allowed me to run some errands between so that I would not have to go, come back home, and go again. I had a baby gift I wanted to go get and had in mind what I wanted to get so I headed into a local upscale baby and children's boutique. I decided that since I had some time I would look around and found some cute little shoes on sale. I went in after a baby bracelet, but these just screamed cute and I had to have them. So I go to check out and I ask her if they could make it cute for me (free wrapping). She looked me in the face and said "No, honey, you bought these on sale. We don't wrap our sale items for you." I hung my head in shame, feeling embarrassed that I had asked and feeling like a "pretty woman" type in an upscale shop. I took my gift and left. I went to the car and decided to call Brent to see if I got my feelings hurt and my panties in a wad for nothing. I was ready to take them back and he agreed with me. So (at closing time- I was pushing it) I marched myself back into the store handed them my gift and told them I would have to return them. When she asked me if something was wrong with them I said...
"No, I just bought them 10 minutes ago. But, it hurts my feelings that you would not wrap them. What I came in after was cheaper at full price, but I saw these and knew I wanted to get them. I have shopped here for over 10 years and spent a lot of money here. Many of the people I know tell me that your shop is too snooty to shop in and I have told them that it was not true. Well, today I can no longer tell them it is not true. I realize you have your policies, but I just felt like I needed to return them."

She apologized, explained the policy reasoning (which honestly if you break it down does not make sense), and told me she would be glad to wrap them. I told her that it was a matter of principal at this point and I did not want to ask her to break policy. I am not sure what really happened next but she again very sweetly apologized and insisted that I take the shoes as a gift from the store for who I was giving them to. I tried to resist, but took them in the end.

I know it was a simple thing, I know to let the little things go. I usually just turn the other cheek and walk away. But, sometimes in life you get tired of being the carpet that everyone walks on. You get tired of just taking things as they may be, even if you do not agree. I was not asking for a fancy package. I was asking for a gingham sales bag and pink tissue paper. The older I get, the more I am trying to stand up for what is right in my mind in all aspects of my life. If I am not willing to stand up for the small stuff, will I be able to stand on my rock if the big things come my way?

4 comments:

jam'n bell said...

i couldn't agree with you more. good for you.
welcome to the land of "standing up for what's right".

Michelle Smiles said...

Good for you!

Big Nanny said...

It's always a good day when you get a free pair of shoes:)

Nicole @ Four Real said...

:) I am trying to tame my "inner sassy pants". But, I did end up with 2 pairs of ballet shoes for the price of one from an online store today because of their mistake. :) Sometimes you have to speak up! LOVE IT!