Monday, October 5, 2009

Tools for Tots

I told you that I have been wanting to work with the little kids some. I really want Silas to know his letters (he has no interest) and I want Eliza to work on articulation with anything. So we are going to try to attempt some Tot School. My friends TD and HH that homeschool do this with their little ones and I have just been feeling like I am lacking in the instruction part of my parenting. So, we piled in the car last week to pick up a few supplies to begin making some Tools for our TotSchool.

Our first Tool was really easy. I took some page saver circles and colored them according to the colors of pipe cleaners I had. Then, I took a Pringles can punched some holes in the top and put those little page saver circles on the holes. Really, the kids love it. All of them have played with it because it is NEW and we made it. I sat with them and made Silas and Eliza tell me the colors (Silas knew them, Eliza knew a few of them) and then they pushed them through the holes which was a great fine motor skill for their little fingers. It was fun, and EASY!





This one was a quickie. I bought some letter beads the other day when I was buying the stuff for Cruz's pacie clip. I came home found a cool bottle, but all the beads in them and added the rice (Oh, and I superglued the lid on). You have to shake it for the beads to come to the top so they move around alot. Silas does not know all his letters but does know the ones in his name so I had him search for them in order. He did it for about 15 minutes (just for his name one time) and did not get bored with it at all. He thought it was cool. Eliza has just played with it, and even Callan found the letters from A to Z in order. (In fact, Daddy had to check it out and I found him searching for the letters in ABC order as well). You could do this as an I Spy and have other objects besides letters and have it to take to restaurants with you. It is cool quiet toy.

6 comments:

Shawn said...

You're so crafty!!
~H

KellyRose said...

Love it! I have checked out the Tot school after reading TD's blog, but felt overwhelmed on where to start. Keep posting these great ideas!

Stephanie said...

so crafty...we need to come over for tot school and I can help out with supplies

Jessica said...

I love the bottle idea!! How clever! I also wanted to recommend a sensory bin. We love it and I can give you some ideas for one if you want!

Tonya Lee said...

Look at you! I am impressed! What kind of bottle did you use? I don't like my water bottle because of the ridges around it. That is funny about Brent- I caught Jon looking for all the items in ours too, and my dad!

Pamela Johnson said...

Very clever. keep the ideas coming...