Monday, October 6, 2008

History and Manners

On Friday, I spent the entire day with Bay's 2nd grade class at the Sam Davis Home in Smyrna. We had a blast checking out all things interesting in the times of the Civil War. I watched in amazement as the people showed the kids what it was like to wash clothes in the 1800's. I watched dreading my own 10 loads of laundry that I was skipping out on at home. BUT THEN, I got home and my mom who had stayed with the little kids had done ALL our laundry and was working on dinner. I am still smiling about my laundry-less baskets. (although they are filling back up quickly)

Saturday, while Brent, Baylor, Callan, Nommie, Gandie, Silas and Eliza spent the day at the baseball field, I was doing something ENTIRELY different. It is how I have spent this weekend for the past 5 years. I was teaching little girls in 1st -3rd grade manners at a girl's conference. It is called Confidence iN Christ and it was started by my friend Terra. She invites girls from 1st-8th grade to spend the day talking about their lives and what is important to them. She teaches them that their confidence comes not from what the world tells them but from what Christ tells them. That because our Lord is King and we are his children, his daughters, then we are princesses. The girls are crowned and get to have fun in all these classes that reinforces who they are in Christ. Different age groups have different sessions and they range from Health, Manners, Prayer, Purity, True Beauty, Worship and More. If you live in the area, I encourage you to bring your daughters (and there is stuff for Mommy too). You can get more details here. I have to add too that our local news anchor was the guest speaker this year, and she did an amazing job. I was a little "Fan-struck" because I have watched her for years as the local anchor and know what a wonderful woman she is both on the air and off. I wish I were brave enough to get a picture but I was afraid I would look like a stalker. I did get a picture of her with a group of the girls, but I wont post it here because some might not appreciate that.

I was so exhausted from my day as a princess, that yesterday... I TOOK A NAP! That is between church... and church. But it was NICE!

This week... Carpool, Baseball, Baseball (yes 2 nights in a row) Butterfly release, and MORE!

2 comments:

Mommy said...

That is awesome! Remind me of this when my girls are old enough. Looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Ashley-- you are so lucky to go to Sam Davis. I've always wanted to go there.My kids never got to go there on a field trip.. When Emily was in 1st grade tho I ALMOST got there... because I was following the wrong bus to the zoo!Totally different direction. At least I realized my mistake right away when we were going south on 65!!Ha! Kathi