So today in celebration of our Gotcha Day, I gave Eliza one of her 18 gifts. We brought home 18 gifts (one for each year up to 18) that we purchased in Guatemala to give Eliza each year in a way to honor her, her heritage, and her country. This years gift was a dress. It is hand embroidered and sweet. I bought it when Eliza was just 10 days old on our first POA/visit trip after we handed her back to her foster mom. We could have bartered for it better, but it sent me into a sobbing frenzy so much so that Brent wanted to get me out of there and the sweet Guatemalan lady thought something was seriously wrong (there was). Here is our photo frenzy... and there were so many more. The arm cross one, is her telling me NO (she did not want her picture taken)... OHHH the sassy girl we are in for!
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Gotcha Day
Today is the one year anniversary of our "Gotcha Day", in adoption terms it is the day that refers to the day you take custody of your child. One year ago today we went into a small room in the back hallway of the Westin Camino Real, with tears pouring, and held OUR daughter knowing that we would never have to hand her back again. It was bittersweet! We were so happy the day had finally come, and Brent had not seen her (in person) since she was about 10 days old. But, the grief in the room was also overwhelming. Her foster mom loved her so much and took wonderful care of her. When we got there, Eliza's foster mom's eyes were already swollen and red from the sadness. We could not help but cry with her because we had experienced the hurt in handing her over several time, but we always knew the end would come and we would get to take her home. This was a final goodbye. We do not know if we will ever get to see Eliza's foster mother again. We hope we will. We hope to travel with her there someday and because we still keep in contact some through e-mail maybe we will get to see her and hug her neck for the wonderful woman that she is and all that she gave to our daughter in those first precious 9 months.
So today in celebration of our Gotcha Day, I gave Eliza one of her 18 gifts. We brought home 18 gifts (one for each year up to 18) that we purchased in Guatemala to give Eliza each year in a way to honor her, her heritage, and her country. This years gift was a dress. It is hand embroidered and sweet. I bought it when Eliza was just 10 days old on our first POA/visit trip after we handed her back to her foster mom. We could have bartered for it better, but it sent me into a sobbing frenzy so much so that Brent wanted to get me out of there and the sweet Guatemalan lady thought something was seriously wrong (there was). Here is our photo frenzy... and there were so many more. The arm cross one, is her telling me NO (she did not want her picture taken)... OHHH the sassy girl we are in for!








So today in celebration of our Gotcha Day, I gave Eliza one of her 18 gifts. We brought home 18 gifts (one for each year up to 18) that we purchased in Guatemala to give Eliza each year in a way to honor her, her heritage, and her country. This years gift was a dress. It is hand embroidered and sweet. I bought it when Eliza was just 10 days old on our first POA/visit trip after we handed her back to her foster mom. We could have bartered for it better, but it sent me into a sobbing frenzy so much so that Brent wanted to get me out of there and the sweet Guatemalan lady thought something was seriously wrong (there was). Here is our photo frenzy... and there were so many more. The arm cross one, is her telling me NO (she did not want her picture taken)... OHHH the sassy girl we are in for!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












12 comments:
Happy Gotcha Day!!!!
Oh my, she is a sassy girl - those pictures are the best. I love her facial expressions!!!!!!!!!
oh happy day! I love the one were she has what I call fish lips, where they are pursed together. You may not want to take her with you to FL so you can leave her with me :)
Beautiful dress! Beautiful baby! Beautiful day! Beautiful plan... that could only have been ordained by God himself. Hugs, M
What a darling dress. . and of course a sweet and sassy little girl. Have a special Gotcha Day with your family.
Darcy
Happy Gotcha Day, Eliza!! WOW!! How fast a year flies by!
Oh my gosh those pictures are hilarious! I love the one with her arms crossed! Too funny! Love the dress too! Happy 1 year gotcha day!
OOOOOOHHHH the looks, but the last one is just precious. I think your 18 ideas is wonderful. I wish I had thought of it.
Happy 1st Gotcha Day. They are special.
SO SWEET!
They are so worth every penny, every tear and every prayer.
God is faithful!
Happy Gotcha Day Eliza!
I love the picture frenzy. She is beautiful. I am so excited to see and hear about many many more years of memories with your precious girl.
So sweet and such beautiful pics!!! Congratulations on "Gotcha Day!!" What a WONDERFUL feeling, isn't it?
Hugs,
Kristin
What a beautiful girl! I love the 18 gift thing. If we decide to pursue IA I will steal the idea.
Ashley, what a beautiful post and a beautiful girl your sweet Eliza is--love those photos!!! Rejoicing and praising God with you for this day one year ago! He is so great. His plans are amazing. Thanks too for reminding me about those gifts! I need to get my list back out! LOL!
Thanks for sharing--this was an extra blessing to me today for so many reasons!
Leslie
Post a Comment