Sunday, December 30, 2007

Wrapping it up

How do you wrap up a year when you have had a year like this.

This time last year we had a joyous Christmas with our three boys, but were longing for the daughter we had held, and loved, and desperately prayed for. We were waiting on Pre-Approval and had hit a snag in the process that led us to believe we had a rocky road ahead. I knew adoption was going to be tough, but I had no idea what depths and heights it would send my family to. We know that God designed this for our family from the beginning of time and the way He took us on the journey to get us both to the point of adoption and then through the adoption really makes us stand in awe. I have cried tears like no other this year and I have felt unspeakable joy that is indescribable. I have felt surrounded by love and completely abandoned and alone at the same time. I have changed my heart, my mind and my passions. I know my Savior on a deeper level and I feel like he used this time to stretch and grow me more into the child He planned. I love the family God has given me and I cannot thank him enough for the blessings He has given me to raise. All I ever wanted to be was a MOM. I got that... and so much more. I want to end my year describing the loves of my life and what they are at this moment in time.

Brent, my friend and companion. He is my rock, my shoulder to cry on and friend to cry with. He is as tender hearted as they come and passionate about his life and all that he holds dear. He has grown into an unbelievable man of God. He is the true leader of our home and protector of our family. He is at the same time a boy at heart and wise old man wrapped up in a 32 year old frame. His eyes sparkle when he tells stories and they get as big as saucers when he is serious. He loves the outdoors, he loves his work, he loves people, he is passionate about missions in Nicaragua, and he loves his family. I see traits of him in each of the boys and I appreciate how he strives to be the best he can be for each of his children. I love how he coaches the boys, takes them hunting and fishing, and how he says "Hola, Chica" every day just to Eliza when he gets home from work. I love him completely.

Baylor, my passionate big boy. Just a few short years ago I could not even envision the child as anything more than the toddler he was, much less the stout 7 year old he is. He is strong in mind and body and is so very passionate about everything he does. Be it on the baseball field, at Karate, or at school work, he goes at it full force and strives for nothing less than the best. He is already a scholar and impresses me daily with his academic abilities. I miss him terribly when he is at school during the day because he is my friend. He has a huge heart and loves people. He is a leader, a friend, a wonderful son.

Callan, my creative free spirit. As he is crossing over into that more mature child who no longer needs a nap or constant kisses from mom, I see his imagination hard at work. He is carefree and independent. He is content to play alone for hours and creates the most unique scenarios and adventures. His interest are totally his own, he is not affected by the kids around him and goes after what he wants. He is content to let life go on around him as he takes it all in and chooses his own path. He is inquisitive and curious always wanting to know more, see more, and do more. His eyes shine with love and he gives the wettest kisses every night after he prays for everyone he knows.

Silas, my tender mamma's boy. He melts at the very word no. He is sensitive and loving and wants to please everyone else. He is happiest in his comfort zone and lives by structure. If you change things up on him, it rocks his world. He is my easiest child and it would make him the most happy if we would just sit all day with him in my lap watching "Nemo". He is a true little brother in that he worships his older brothers and wants to mimic all that they do. He is the hardest to discipline and just looking into his big eyes melts my heart. He is me, and I understand him completely.

Eliza, my precious princess miracle. Just saying her name brings me to tears. She is all I ever dreamed of in a daughter and fills my cup to overflowing. She is sweet and tender, feisty and opinionated. She is amazing and beautiful, perfect in every way. Honestly sometimes when I am out and about it baffles me that people ask me where she is from or what her heritage is. It is not that I think she looks just like me, but that our connection is so strong and our hearts are so much the same I cannot see anything but my child, my daughter. She brings songs of praise to my lips and smile to my heart. She is an amazing blessing and I will always be grateful to God and to her Birth Mother who has strength that I cannot begin to imagine. She has opened the world to our family and sparked a passion like none other. She leaves me breathless and speechless.

What a blessing this year has been to me in so many ways. I cannot wait to see what 2008 brings.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...great post, Ashley!

God bless.

Mommy said...

and that, my friend, was beautiful!

Tricia said...

Ashley, what a beautiful tribute. I enjoyed reading every word! Your love for your family is so tangible!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anonymous said...

My sweet daughter, you are so tender-hearted and loving, if only most people knew that about you. You have been not only a daughter to me but also my closest friend. You have become a beautiful, spirit filled woman of God. I knew that you were cut out to be a teacher on so many levels, but I never dreamed that your life would end up being so rich with God's blessings. You do have a wonderful husband,three precious boys and now that daughter that you dreamed about. I knew that when you were 3 and Jared came home from the hospital that the perfect gift for you was a new baby doll named Angela, you were a mom in training. I love you always and I am so proud of you. Love, Mom

Angie said...

Beautiful post Ashley! Happy New Year!!!

Anonymous said...

You are blessed and deservedly so. Through the year's ups and downs that seemed so hugh at the time, it now seems all the pieces of the puzzle of life fit. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and when we do not "have it", we need to yield to the one that does.

If you now swell with pride at your blessings, hang on for the next 35 years as life continues!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful testimony of your love for your family. We are so blessed that Brent found you. Your descriptions of each child and of Brent were perfect. My prayer is that God will continue to bless your sweet family. We are proud and blessed to have you as our daughter-in-law. My love, Gran
P.S. I had a hard time typing this through the tears.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your precious family. Your description of each child and of Brent were so accurate. I thank God that Brent found you. My prayer is that God will continue to bless you and your family in 2008 and beyond. We are blessed to have you as our daughter-in-law and the mother of four of our grandchildren. I am having trouble writing this through the tears. My love, Gran

Anonymous said...

Oh Ashley....that was so beautiful! As I was reading it my eyes filled with tears as I too share the same feelings for Kayleigh as you do for Eliza! They truly are miracles and a blessing from God as are your three boys. You have a wonderful family and the love that you all share is so apparent by just reading your blog. We really wish we would have had the opportunity to have met Brent and your boys also during our visit to Guatemala, but feel so blessed to have met you. God fills our lives with opportunities to meet such wonderful people and we thank Him every day for ALL of our many blessings and our sweet angel. Happy New Year to you and your sweet family!
Hugs and Many blessings in the New Year!
Tammy (Kayleigh's Mommy)

Bobbi said...

I am not sure what was more moving, your post, or the comments by your Mother and mother-in-law.

Happy New Year