Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Our first child


This is Macie Star Beamer Jones. She was my wedding gift from Brent. She has been such a sweet companion for almost 10 years now. Brent thought he could never love a little dog (and even told me he did not know if she could be considered a DOG), but he is the one that allows her to sleep either wrapped around his head or between his legs every night.
I am a little worried about our first child. We went to the vet today for routine shots and check-up. When they put her on the scales it said she weighed only 4 pounds. Now, she has never been big but she has been as much as 7 pounds and has lost a pound and a half since her last vet visit. I know that when I lose a pound and a half it is really only because I left off the ice cream, but for her it is a big chunk. In fact, they were so concerned that they only gave her the rabies shot afraid that the others might be too much.

A year ago they told me she might be beginning kidney failure. They suggested I do a weekly IV infusion (myself). We talked about it and decided that if it were not going to cure her, but only prolong her life I was not going to torture her and make her hate me and not love on me. She is a very persnickety dog and if she is mad at you... SHE IS MAD and will not come near you and avoids you and does mean things like...eat your underwear. They took more blood today (and he confirmed that not doing the IV for me was a good choice because she pitched a fit with him and he is trained)to check her kidney levels. He seems to think it may not be her kidney's after all because he expected that she would be a lot worse since we did not do the IV's. So, I do not know what is in store for my little dog-ter, but she is just precious to us. We love her and hope that there are many more persnickety years to come.

Remind me to tell you sometime to tell you all about her 2 broken legs when she was a pup and her torn ACL.

5 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

Awwww...hope she is feeling better soon.

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

Oh, she is so sweet. I hope she is just losing winter weight or that it is some other curable ailment. Keep us posted.

Happy said...

Pets are members of the full fledged members of the family. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Kylie's Mommy said...

Wow this is so familiar to me.
Our first baby.. Our dogdaughter bailey is currently showing the same symptoms and after lot's of tests she has sever anemia cuased by an autoimmune disorder.
She is now on medication and had a blood transfusion last week and is acting like a young pup again. She will be 13 in September.
I hope your doggie is better soon.
Dottie FTC
www.journeytng.blogspot.com

Laurie said...

She is precious! I hope she is feeling 100% real soon. I totally understand how dogs are really 4 legged humans and part of the family. I have had tonsillectomies on 2 of my dogs aaah I mean kids!